Saturday, May 8, 2010

So here it is, the day before Mothers Day. The Race for the Cure is tomorrow and I will not be participating. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
This week, I worked in Philly and drove right by the Art Museum where they are setting up for the Race this weekend. It was like a little twist of the knife in my wounds. But it is what it is. My knees are still a mess and my back has been giving me problems for the last couple of weeks so I'm not going to risk doing further damage. I will be there in spirit. The Race really isn't about me anyway (I know, surprise!) It's about all of the women and men who have bravely battled or are battling breast cancer. Some, unfortunately, have lost the battle but many have won. My friend, Jen, is one of those winners. She just passed her 5 year surviversary this past week. I only met Jen after she had been through her treatment but I cherish my friendship with her and am so happy God has blessed me with her and her family. I am hoping that next year, I will be able to participate.
I am still on weight watchers, although I have to admit that I haven't been as good as I should have been. I'm planning on changing that this week. My downfall is not writing down what I eat and keeping track of my points. I have an idea in my head of how many points I'm using but I'm not putting them down on paper which can lead to overeating or just eating the wrong things. So that has to change this week. As a matter of fact, my WW buddies and I made a pact to change that this week. So I will be digging out my tracker. I am currently 15.5 pounds down and while I'm happy about that, I still have a ways to go so I have to keep on following the program and not let myself slip or get discouraged.
This week I did start something new and fun. I started volunteering at an animal rescue shelter. I will be walking and playing with dogs, which is my dream job. I looooove doggies and I'm so excited to be making a small difference in the lives of animals that have been rescued from some really awful situations.
So, tomorrow, while I won't be racing, I will be spending time with my family at church and then out to lunch after church. I know my husband got me a wii fit for mothers day so I'll be looking forward to using it. My daughter, Caity, surprised me with beautiful flowers today and they really brighten up the house.
I hope you all have a wonderful Mothers Day, whether you are a mother, aunt, sister,grandmother, daughter or son!

1 comment:

Jenster said...

You made my eyes all leaky and everything!! I missed you yesterday morning, but I totally understand. Next year we'll totally rock it!

Good for you on the 15 pounds! I might be close to that if I'd stuck with WW. Instead I think I gained back all I lost. :( so I have to get back to it, too.

Can't wait to hear more about the new dog walking gig!!